MONTREAL – 2022 marked a historic regular season campaign for CF Montréal. The Club earned its highest-ever finish since entering MLS, breaking several club and league records in the process.
In a unique stretch that culminated with an 11-1-3 record in the team’s final 15 games, the Montrealers concluded their regular season in second place in the Eastern Conference for the first time in their MLS history, only two points behind the Philadelphia Union.
This Sunday, the Club will begin its MLS Cup playoff run against Orlando City SC at 8pm at Stade Saputo in the first round of the Eastern Conference’s postseason battle.
As the Club closes a chapter on its regular season accomplishments and looks ahead to its playoff journey, the following is an overview of CF Montréal’s most notable and unprecedented accomplishments of the 2022 MLS regular season.
Most Road Wins in an MLS Season
With a never-before-seen road record of 11-4-2 and 35 points, CF Montréal became the MLS team to have earned the most away wins in a regular season. Prior to the Montrealers' historic 2022 performance, the New England Revolution (2021) and Atlanta United (2018) held that title with 10 away wins each. The Club's previous record had been set at four road wins in a single season.
New MLS Record for Consecutive Road Wins
With last Sunday's 3-1 Decision Day win over Inter Miami CF at DRV PNK Stadium, CF Montréal set a new MLS record (since the abolition of penalty kicks in 2000) with its seventh straight road triumph. During that stretch, which began on July 23, Montreal consistently took all three points at D.C. United, Columbus, Houston, Chicago, Toronto, New England and Miami.
Multiple Club Records
Through 34 games this year, CF Montréal shattered multiple Club records since its inaugural 2012 season:
- Second place in the East and third overall in MLS (previous record: third in the East in 2015)
- 20 wins (previous record: 15 in 2015)
- 9 losses (previous record: 11 in 2016)
- 65 points in the standings (previous record: 51 in 2015)
- 63 goals scored (previous record: 52 in 2017)
- 66 assists (previous record: 49 in 2013)
- 185 corners (previous record: 168 in 2021)
- 317 shots allowed (previous record: 376 in 2019)
- 126 shots on goal allowed (previous record: 144 in 2021)
- Two eight-game unbeaten runs (previous record: three six-game unbeaten runs)
- 14 goals scored by defenders (previous record: 7 in 2013 and 2021)
- 3 goals scored in the first minute of play
Newly Tied Club Records
In addition, a few CF Montréal records were also tied during the season:
- 8 goals scored by substitute players (also in 2021)
- 74 shots on goal on the road (also in 2016)
- 181 free kicks awarded (also in 2013)